Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Re-branding Photowhim

Lately I've been keeping my ear to the ground and have been very receptive to peoples likes and dislikes of Photowhim. The masses have spoken! Every one is crying for a new user Interface (UI). Some would describe the old UI as "Eye Cancer." Others would complain it hurts their eyes. Other would just down right hate the font.  Okay, in my defense, bright green is a stand out unused social networking color and the font was meant to draw in a female crowd base. All set aside, I tossed  out the ENTIRE UI.

Obviously I can't afford a designer and no one wants to work for free now a days (Something about not making money). So I set off and research most popular colors and UIs. Would seem Grey and Gold schema is in (James Bond and Fine Silvering Lining Playbook movie posters are examples). I quickly pick out a font that matches the professionalism of Grey and Gold. I also create 2 other mock UI designs (Googly colors and Plain and Boring). I copy and past some things around and now have three working drafts of the future UI of Photowhim. Exciting.

I then email all the UIs to my friends and family to pick out the two best UIs. Of course, no one responds so I have to start cold calling them and forcing them to pick out a design (Something about not making money). Ballots are in, everyone loves the "Darker" grey and gold.

I then begin the process of overhauling Photowhim UI. I change every single title, and button. I compensate for size changes. I make minor modifications that people have notice and that  I've overlooks (Thanks to my brother). After about 20 hours of networking and developing, I have a finished product. Instead of putting in more bug fixes with an app update, I decide to push it out immediately with just new UI changes. Gamble paid off as I have still have not fixed some bugs and the app just got approved in the app store and is available for updates now.

So thats how I worked the system to create a "shock and awe" award winning UI design. It just required time and effort. Those two things seem to be  a lacking capability in people now a days.

No comments:

Post a Comment