Monday, July 25, 2011

Swinging into Facebook

After developing the foundation of my project, I am finally approaching the artistic side of programing and designing a client side Java Swing Application. Designing GUIs are a lot of fun. Especially if you do not have to deal with a run-time environment like in Game Programming. I have followed the Model, View, Controller programming paradigm and it seems to be working well. I have put in a one liner piece of code on the UIManager look and feel. This completely changes the default look and feel to a ninja covert operation look fitting the project theme. Thus far my application has gone far beyond the reach of any HTML based application in a sense I could carry out more complex visualizations and computations. Additionally my application is autonomous, alleviating the need for any foreign Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) by replacing Google Maps with Open Map. This means you could use the application behind closed doors without the need of an unclassified network. One day while laying in bed I had an epiphany. Why not make the same rich client side application for Facebook? So I searched around and yes this idea has been carried out to a certain extent but not in the same sense I have created with my own project. Why settle for the provided Facebook API? Why not go a step further and begin some Natural Language Processing? Perhaps do some more analytics on trending topics from friends comments and likes with some Vector Space Analysis. Maybe some behavioral profiling on yourself and friends profiles. Could this be the next must-have for Facebook addicts? Could this be my next get rich quick scheme? This definitely calls for further investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment